Red Chalice Image

Highland Drive Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ)
Jonesboro, Arkansas

A Place to Worship - A Place to Serve

Chrurch images rotating

Church History

Highland Drive Christian Church (formerly Central Christian) of Jonesboro, Arkansas was organized on November 7, 1958 in an evening meeting at Christian Valley Christian Church.   Twenty-five members were placed on the roll that evening and another 20 were added before the Charter Membership Roll was closed on June 30, 1959.
 
The congregation worshipped with Christian Valley several weeks before a meeting place could be secured.  The Seventh-Day Adventist Church, on Steele Street, was then rented and Reverend Norman Prose became the first minister.
 
A building fund campaign was launched in June 1961 under the direction of the Board of Church Extension and in September groundbreaking services were held at East Highland Drive and Bernard on an acre of ground donated by the S. W. Wood family.
 
Charles W. Ellis, Jr. (son of charter members, Charlie and Ella Ellis) donated his services as architect.  The first multi-purpose unit was completed and dedicated July 22, 1962.
 
When the need for the second unit became apparent, an extensive study was made.  Due to the surrounding properties having been developed into a major shopping area, the congregation, after much prayer and deliberation, voted to sell the property and build elsewhere.
 
The present site at 501 West Highland was secured in early 1978 and the building was completed and dedicated in June 1980 while Reverend Richard Leach was pastor.  The congregation actively supports a number of local, national, and international ministries.    In its early years, the church committed to giving 10% of its tithes and offerings to the worldwide mission of the Disciples church.   The current average mission giving to all causes comprises 23% of its budget.  The congregation supports the local inter-faith food pantry, Helping Neighbors, both in volunteering time, leadership, and financial gifts..  
 
The congregation has made 3 mission trips to work in the Westside Mission in New Orleans   This mission is an ongoing effort of the Disciples church to assist in rebuilding the city following the devastating hurricanes.. 
 
In the last several years, the church has sent approximately $8000 in support of Heifer International Project, headquartered in Little Rock.   This is accomplished through collections of quarters and coins by the children each Sunday.
 
background image
 
background image   background image